Sunday, October 10, 2010

My, how time flies

Its been over two years since I updated this blog - the fate of so many blogs. But the bees are in much better shape than the blog. I now have four horizontal top-bar hives: one in my back yard and three hosted in yards in the Thoroughgood neighborhood of Virginia Beach. Currently I am giving them all the sugar syrup they will take in hopes that they'll winter-over in good shape. Before long I will mix up batches of fondant or something like it, put it in the hives and bid them farewell for the Winter.

I am considering an ambitious plan for next year. I may build several new hives over the Winter and try to stock them all with nucs I split off from my larger colonies. More on that as it develops. In the near future I plan to update this blog and tell details about my hives, this Summer's honey harvest, and more about my suburban beekeeping.

No comments: